Volkswagen India has introduced the Taigun Trail Edition in the domestic market, with a price tag of INR 16,29,900 (ex-showroom). Based on the GT trim, the Taigun GT Trail Edition was announced in April 2023 and comes with some cosmetic updates compared to the regular GT variant. Despite its Trail moniker, it does not come with any specific off-road gear as the changes are limited to the exterior.
The Volkswagen Taigun GT Trail Edition features newly designed 17-inch black alloy wheels, a Trail badge on the boot lid, contrast red brake calipers, and new decals on the fenders and pillars. It also comes with roof rails. Inside the cabin, it gets red stitching and a new black leather seat upholstery with ‘Trail’ embossment.
The Taigun GT Trail Edition offers the choice of three colors – Candy White, Deep Black Pearl, and Carbon Steel Grey. As it is based on the GT trim, it comes with 10-inch touchscreen infotainment system with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, automatic headlights, TPMS (tire pressure
- The Volkswagen Taigun Trail Edition is a cosmetically updated version based on the standard model, particularly the GT trim.
- It has been launched in the Indian market at a price of INR 16,29,900 (ex-showroom).
- Introduced in April 2023, the Trail Edition is slightly more premium than the regular GT version.
- Despite the “Trail” name, there are no specific off-road upgrades; changes are limited to the exterior.
- The Taigun GT Edge Trail Edition features 17-inch black alloy wheels, a Trail badge on the boot lid, red brake calipers, new decals on the fenders and pillars, and added roof rails.
- Inside the cabin, there is new black leather seat upholstery with red stitching and ‘Trail’ embossment.
- It is offered in three colors: Candy White, Deep Black Pearl, and Carbon Steel Grey.
- Features inherited from the GT trim include a 10-inch touchscreen infotainment system with wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto connectivity, automatic headlights, TPMS, and a reverse parking camera, among others.
- It retains the GT Plus’s metallic pedals and ambient lighting.
- The Volkswagen Taigun and Vento have both received a 5-star safety rating from Global NCAP for adult and child occupant protection, with the Vento earning the highest score ever in GNCAP history at the time of testing.
- The GT Edge Trail Edition continues to use a 1.5-liter four-cylinder TSI turbo petrol engine, capable of producing 150 PS and 250 Nm of torque.
- It comes standard with a 6-speed manual transmission, with a 7-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission as an option.
- In April, Volkswagen also unveiled a Taigun Sport Edition, which is expected to reach showrooms in the coming months.
- The midsize SUV segment is highly competitive, with recent launches like the facelifted Kia Seltos and significant updates to the Tata Harrier and Safari.
- The Taigun competes with SUVs like the Hyundai Creta, Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara, Kia Seltos, Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder, Skoda Kushaq, MG Astor, Honda Elevate, and Citroën C3 Aircross.
- A facelifted Hyundai Creta is expected to launch in early 2024, signaling a highly active segment in the coming years.